It's 11:37 am here. As I sit with an ice pack (from where I accidentally slammed my finger in the bathroom door) it occurs to me that this IS a typical day in my house. I don't know how many times Sawyer woke up during the night, but each time he was awake for a very long time. He was pretty frustrated by nasal congestion so he was hard to console at times...and constantly moving, slapping around at whatever was in his path. After midnight we finally turned on the light and stopped trying to get him to go to sleep. We quit the rocking and the singing and the feeding and just started playing. He kept standing up, beaming with a big smile and trying to lunge into our arms without taking steps. He will take practice steps only with us holding on. His face is adorable because he is very proud of his standing. He had a blast playing in the floor until he was yawning and this time when we held him he started doing this thing where he kind of hums until he falls asleep. I recognize it as his last stand before he finally gives in to sleep....so I was happy to hear him doing this...until he simply never went to sleep. It was like the never-ending night. (We usually put him to bed and he falls asleep on his own, but not when he has congestion like this.) We did get some sleep, but just enough to make us semi-delirious. (Can't be held accountable for my spelling mistakes this morning...not sure how to spell delirious?? That looks wrong. :)....So anyway, just thought as Caleb is doing his independent work that I would post a little list of things I've done this morning that WERE NOT on my "to do" list. Drumroll please....
--Smelled a horrendous aroma coming from the blanket sleeper of 3 year old Connor right as we were picking up momentum in our morning lessons.
--Halted lessons for the clean up project which was a full 30 minute ordeal, complete with a bath...which WAS absolutely necessary.
--Fished approximately 7-8 very small, life-threatening objects from the mouth...or back of the tongue of 11 month old Sawyer
--Mopped up the floor because 3 year old Connor splashed water all over the bathroom...all the way from the tub to the door....while I was fishing a very small object from somewhere around Sawyer's tonsils.
--Accidentally SLAMMED my finger in the door as I was cleaning up the bathroom after the great flood of '09
--Stood firm during the tantrum that happened when 3 year old Connor wanted Kool-aid right after a cinnamon roll for breakfast. Smiled when he said, "Yummy!" after he drank his water...which he chose instead of milk.
--Instructed 3 year old Connor that we DO NOT wipe our peanut butter covered hands down the front of our clothes. We use something like the paper towel..(which was right in front of him)
--Cleaned the clothes with the smeared peanut butter.
--Got on my hands and knees to clean the milk out of the carpet that was spilled when 7 year old Caleb was fidgeting at the table during Bible.
--Apologized for losing my cool when I was cleaning up during the time our loose schedule says I would be reading in Luke...about the birth of the Savior!
--Felt horrible for not SHOWING Caleb what I want to teach him about...GRACE!
--Experienced God's grace with me and from Caleb as well.
--Smiled in spite of the milk...and the aching finger...etc. :)
--Lost cool again when I found seven year old Caleb had scattered small objects all over the floor that I don't allow on the floor. (see previous comment about Sawyer)
--Gave up on school for the morning and took a break to collect myself and type this list. AAAAHHHHH! Praying for better school time this afternoon!
Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow! Sounds like a crazy morning! I didn't know that you were homeschooling. I always wondered how moms did that when there are little ones running around (and apparently sticking things in their mouths). I guess some days are better than others. Hope this afternoon and tomorrow morning goes a bit smoother. : )
Your day sounds a lot like mine.
Just take out the bath and add in a trip to the doctor and pharmacy for an ear infection for Sam. But leave in the smeared P.B. down the front of a 3 year old's sweater.
Yep. Isn't motherhood fun? :)
I'm up super late because I'm crazy...and because I've been catching up on your blogs. :) ...and I had to laugh, Steph, because Sawyer ended up developing an ear infection from the cold he had this day. This teacher needed a break more than her student. :)
Dawn, we are home schooling for the first time this year. It's actually going well overall. This was just a hard day. :) Sawyer's Christmas money (from his grandmother) went toward a 4X4 Playzone, which we're hoping will buy us a little time this next semester! I can obsessively vacuum a 4X4 square more easily than I can our whole house. I seriously think that moms who make it through the "mouthing everything" stage with no major catastrophes really SHOULD be given some kind of award. Don't ya think?
Post a Comment