Sunday, May 24, 2009
What's had us up lately at night????
Just about a month ago we were in the middle of a busy week. We were shopping for a new vehicle as our car was limping toward its end. We were loaded in the van and were grabbing a quick bite to eat after a busy afternoon where we'd picked Todd up at work and made a couple of stops. We had been singing and being silly. We were all laughing because Connor was repeating us and was answering our questions by singing the answers. It was so funny. We made a stop somewhere and Todd ran in to get something. Caleb was doing his "Take Home Reading" while we waited for him. We were so proud of him because he was reading a "Level 2" 1st grade book...the one with the BIG words. We finished his homework and were laughing and talking when something got my attention and I turned around to see that Caleb had slumped to his right and was having a seizure. (Yes, Caleb, not Ethan. Caleb had never had a seizure.) Todd and I BOTH freaked out. I jumped out of the front seat and opened Caleb's door. I was SOOOOO glad to see that he came out of the seizure within 15-30 seconds at the most. (This was especially a relief because we never saw Ethan's seizures back in '05 stop until they put him on a ventilator!!) We checked to see if he had a temp....no. I called his pediatrician's office. They sent us to the ER where we remained until 3 am. Oh, LONG night!! We came home and reverted back to newborn parent habits of checking on him all during the night to be sure he was ok. We slept with him in the living room for the first few days..."a campout"...and then, got brave enough for him to sleep in his own room again. (We didn't want him to be overly concerned because of our concern.) We rigged up his bed with these bells. :) It was truly funny the way we each tested it while the other waited in the other room listening to the baby monitor to see what it would sound like if they were shaken a little or a lot. :) We told him the bells were just in case he needed us. (Oh, he LOVED that! We had to tell them they were in case he REALLY needed us.) We would adjust them around him after he went to sleep and every time he moved around we'd run in to check on him. (Someone should really make a good seizure monitor!!!) Our doctor's office suggested the bells. Seemed a bit crazy for 21st century medical advice to me!! Caleb's CT scan, bloodwork and sleep deprived EEG all came back clear! We're so grateful. The specialist we saw last week said that 20% of children have seizures at some point. His EEG showed a very low likelihood of repeats. We will be having an MRI soon just to be sure there wasn't something missed on the CT scan. In the meantime, here's our little sweetie sleeping peacefully with his rigged up bell system. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
So thankful to hear everything is clear thus far. Your Mom told me about the seizure and I've been praying. Will continue to do so. Love you guys!
Many hugs...........
Diane
Our nephew just started having unexplained seizures and had to be airlifted since he had major breathing problems along with them. Can be scary!
Glad to hear he's doing better!
Jolanthe
Oh my! That is SO scary. Seizures are AWFUL! Glad that he is doing well & his tests came back OK. Hope the MRI gives you a little more info. In the meantime, hopefully the bells will give you some peace of mind.
Wow! That is scary. For some reason when we talked I got it in my mind you meant Conner had the seizure. Somewhere between Baby #1 and Baby #4 I have lost my mind - I know you understand.
Anyway. We'll pray this was a freak thing that never happens again!!!
YIKES! I know...I'm just now reading this! Had NO idea!! Is all ok now? Or at least...STILL ok? Praise the Lord tests were clear!
Julie, Everything has been fine ever since. The MRI was last week and we'll get test results back from that on Monday. The MRI required sedation and it was unsettling seeing my child so loopy!!! He was very concerned about why Mommy had FOUR eyes. :) (He was seeing double for a while.) Poor guy! It was good to see him bounce back the next day...back to himself! :0)
Steph, when we talked that day I told you about Connor, I think. He's had several crazy allergic reactions. I think I was telling you about his run in with a mosquito. :0)....sounds SO crazy, but his skin is so sensitive, his head was ALL swollen after a mosquito bite. It was a 4 day long reaction that required an urgent care trip. Craziness!!!
Glad to report that everyone is well at the moment! lol! :)
Thanks for the prayers, Di! I agree with you Dawn...seizures ARE awful!!!
Post a Comment