Saturday, December 13, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

The boys were really into Thanksgiving this year! :) I was very sick the week of Thanksgiving. I shopped early for the food for the big day, but by Thursday I was very disappointed that I wasn't able to make the food! Change of plans...smaller menu (which was probably for the best since I was over 8 months pregnant) and Todd did the cooking! Thank you, Todd!!! :) The best part was that Ethan's class had dressed up as Pilgrims and Caleb's as Indians. (different schools, too) They were all excited about wearing their dress up gear for our family dinner and were so cute at the table. Caleb really got into the history of Thanksgiving and told us all the details he'd learned at school. (I was impressed!) Caleb also wanted me to get pictures of he and Ethan hugging and shaking hands...because the Pilgrims and Indians became friends, of course. Those pictures are priceless! They had so much fun with it! :) Caleb knew all about how they helped each other. I would love a great resource about Thanksgiving so that we can read more and learn more if anyone knows a good, accurate resource that's good for 3-6 year olds. Todd said he heard about something on Family Life that we want to look into. My favorite picture was not posed. It was Ethan just before we prayed. Ethan bowed his head and clasped his hands and had his eyes squeezed so tightly and I had to tell Todd, "I'm sorry! Wait just a minute before you pray!!" I had to snap a picture. Is that over the top mommy photo-taking at its worst??? Holding up the Thanksgiving prayer to snap a picture??? :) It was just so sweet...Ethan all dressed up like a Pilgrim, with such an earnest, little look on his face as he bowed his head. I'll post those pictures when I get them off of our computer!!! I saved them last week and our computer bit the dust before I could back them up on CDs. We think we can still get to them. I'm glad I accidentally left these on the camera cards!!! :)

This year God has given me so many reasons to be thankful!! I was very convicted by a message I heard in the van on the go the week of Thanksgiving...about how often we complain when we have so little to complain about...really. Focusing on a small negative irritation or annoyance and ignoring the mounds of blessings that surround us every moment! It seems trite when I put it here in a neat, little paragraph, but I was moved by the truth I heard and it was refreshing in the middle of a busy day to be reminded to acknowledge God and His constant provisions...both tangible and intangible. It made me look at my husband with new appreciation that day...and my children with awe....that God LETS ME get up every day and be a part of teaching and shaping these little lives that He put together so creatively and lovingly!! I pray God will remind me of this throughout this year when I start to see my "job" as a mom as more of a responsibility than a GIFT!!!

No comments: